Completed in 1888, the Gravity Cellar was the visionary design of Oscar Benno Seppelt, son of Seppeltsfield founders Joseph and Johanna.
Built into the hillside on a series of terraces, Benno’s design of the cellar was centred on allowing the natural course of gravity to assist the flow of fruit down through the winery.
Whilst originally borne from engineering logic, the gravity-fed minimal handling approach is now a coveted modern-day winemaking principle. In complement to open fermentation, the resultant wines show heightened aromatics and purity of fruit, aided by the gentle extraction of colour, flavour and tannin.
The ingenuity of Benno Seppelt’s design is well noted in a newspaper article in The Queenslander, 23rd July 1898:
“The cellars have been an object lesson to the whole colony, and every new winery that has been built in South Australia during the past few years has been constructed on the plan which has proved so successful at Seppeltsfield – with, of course, modifications to suit the peculiar requirements of the various localities. This is a fact of which Mr. Seppelt may justly be proud.”
For nearly a century, the 1888 Gravity Cellar played an important role in Australia’s fine wine landscape, until it was eventually decommissioned in the 1980s due to the need for significant restoration. The cellar lay dormant as a museum for nearly 30 years until it was proudly revived for the 2010 vintage, now celebrated once again by the winemakers of Seppeltsfield.